January 29, 2014

Stairs = Warm & Dry Workout

School was cancelled today for a "Snow Day" which really just meant "No one around here knows how to drive when the roads are wet, and it's near freezing. So, stay home." But, we law students were more than happy to get a few extra hours of sleep and a whole day to catch up on reading assignments. Not to mention, my schedule went from non-stop to completely free. I figured I should use my extra time to get in a work-out, considering I otherwise have no time this week. But, there's no gym in my apartment building, and it's wet and freezing outside.

So... There's only one thing to do in this situation... Run stairs! Tip #4: Stairs are a great replacement when circumstances won't allow a run.
Three great things about this workout: 1) It is warm and dry. 2) You don't have to go anywhere. 3) You're not in public, so wear whatever you want. It was just my iPod and me. I actually came up with this idea about a week ago when a 5K was cancelled due to rain, and the campus gym was closed. My running buddy and I went to a parking garage on campus and ran the stairs a few times.

For those of you who talk themselves out of a workout unless you have something to go by (Trust me, that's how I usually am.), here's what I did:
  1. 5 flights up, running
  2. Walk down.
  3. 5 flights up, running
  4. Walk down.
  5. Run 3 flights up, Walk 2 flights up. Repeat until at the top (For me, that was 15 flights.)
  6. Walk down 2 flights, Run up 1 flight. Repeat until you're back at the bottom. Treat these running flights as sprints. Pump your arms and raise your knees as high as you can on each step.
And, here's the reward (view from the top and realizing you're working out and staying dry):

No comments:

Post a Comment