1 leftover chocolate-covered strawberry
Obviously, you probably won't have this exact food. But, here's an idea of a light and paleo lunch. The tomatoes and cucumber are healthy, low-sugar ways to put in several bites. The turkey burger adds protein, and the strawberry is a sweet-tooth satisfier.
Have you ever noticed how meat is usually packaged by the grocery store in ginormous proportions? The recommended portion is about 5 oz. (1 lb. = about 3 servings.), and it's usually difficult to find any one piece of meat less than 8 oz. So, this was my solution to a package of two NY Strips, equaling 1 lb. of beef (for two people). For dinner, I cut 2-3 oz. off of each steak and grilled the 4 pieces. We ate the 5-6 oz. pieces for dinner with asparagus. Then, this is what happened...
1/2 cup - 1 cup lettuce (I just used the remainder of a bag I had in the refrigerator.)
2-3 oz. steak, chopped
4-5 pieces asparagus, chopped and sauteed in coconut oil then patted dry
4 grape tomatoes
2-3 tbs. Homemade (Paleo) Balsamic Vinagrette (Recipe in Recipe Book.)
*Pack this the night before after dinner. Put the salad in one large container and the dressing in a small/tiny container. Pour the dressing over the salad at lunch-time.
|Strawberry Avocado Salad|
Tuna with Avocado:
1 5 oz. can tuna & 1 avocado mashed together
For more of a tuna salad, you could add a hard-boiled egg, celery, carrots or the like.
*This is also great with sliced bell peppers.
Strawberry Avocado Salad
1/2 avocado, cubed
5 strawberries, quartered
1/4 cup blueberries
2 tbs. diced red onion
Top with Balsamic Vinaigrette (Recipe Book) or any other paleo dressing you like. I used the sauce from the Baked Tilapia (Recipe Book).
Also see Grilled Shrimp Tomato Salad in the Recipe Book!
|Celery, sunflower butter & raisins|
- Larabar - These are super easy to leave in a locker, office, backpack, etc. in case you ever forget to grab a snack in the morning. When buying Larabars, be sure to check the ingredients. Most of them are perfectly paleo, but a few flavors have some unwanted ingredients like peanuts.
- Apple/Celery & Sunflower butter - Slice the apple the night before and put it in a plastic bag, and measure out 2 tbsp. of sunflower butter into a small container. Then, it's ready to grab and go in the morning.
- Raisins optional
- Hard-boiled egg(s) - A great snack to take along if you plan on heading to the gym!
- Tip #9: Eat 1-2 hard-boiled eggs with blueberries about 30 minutes before a workout. It's the perfect amount of energy and nutrients to sustain an intense workout like a spin class or running.
- In case you're like I was and couldn't figure out how to actually get a hard-boiled egg to not still be runny inside - Boil water in a small saucepan. When it starts boiling, add the egg(s). Set a time for 13 minutes. Remove the eggs from the heat when the timer goes off. Voila!
- Blueberries & almonds - 1/4 cup almonds and about 1/2 cup blueberries; If you're anything like me, you eat almond all the time. Adding blueberries to the mix adds texture and flavor. The combination is awesome!
- Great post-workout snack!
|Blueberries & Almonds|