February 7, 2014

Potluck

Today was about 12 hours straight of baking and cooking. The alarm went off at 5:45, and I started the coffee pot... which I never drink coffee, let alone caffeine. But, I'm convinced it's what kept me going today. I sweetened the coffee with almond milk and cinnamon.  And, for someone who doesn't drink coffee, I actually enjoyed it! Tip #8: Sweeten coffee with almond milk and cinnamon. Real quick, while we're on the topic of almond milk which is my favorite thing since soymilk... Personally, I prefer Blue Diamond over Silk; however, I usually buy what's on sale or whichever one I have a coupon for. I've read the ingredients of basically all nut milks at WholeFoods, and basically all of them have additives. I started buying Unsweetened Vanilla almond milk, but this was my first time buying Unsweetened Original - motivation being the logic that it probably has less stuff added to it due to the lack of flavoring. It's not bad, and there's not too much of a difference without the Vanilla.


The baking contest is tomorrow, so it was another tortuous struggle of "One bite will make a difference." "No, it won't." "Yes, it will." The scale won, and I didn't eat one single cookie or cupcake. But, as you know, I like to share my experiences, so here are the key lime cupcakes and chocolate turtle cookies that I slaved over ALL day...
Tonight I am going to a get-together at a friend's house to watch the Opening Ceremonies.I wanted to bring something paleo because I doubt there will be a lot of that. So, I decided on Avocado Deviled Eggs (Recipe). I was ambitious and thought that the star tip would hold out for its third job today, but onions got stuck in the bottom which caused the pressure to explode... So, they ended up being the most organized I could get them with a ziplock bag, spoon and two fingers. I tested the leftover batter (I guess that should say filling. Can you tell I've been baking all day?) with an extra hard-boiled egg I had in the fridge... AWESOME! Extra tid-bit: Blue dishes make food look unappetizing. Once I switched them to the white plate, it made a HUGE difference!

2/15/2014 Update: I made a lunch-size portion of this Garden salad with Cilantro Lime Dressing for lunch today. It would be a great paleo dish to bring to a summer potluck picnic. For lunch, I used a bowl of 1/2 spring mix and 1/2 spinach with 1 tomato on the vine, 1/8 red onion, sliced & 1/2 of an avocado.

Juice of two limes is about 3 tablespoons. And, I used dried cilantro which worked fine. I'm sure fresh cilantro has stronger flavor, but if you don't have it - dried will do the job.

Other recipes that I made for my SuperBowl party here.

3/13/2014 Update: Apparently they posted the names of the winners for the Baking Contest, and I'm included!

No comments:

Post a Comment