February 27, 2014

Smoothies

I've been pretty adventurous lately when it comes to smoothies. I have always been successful with strawberry/banana smoothies, had great success with coconut milk smoothies (Recipe Book), and then took a little roller coaster ride.

Source
Coconut Lime Avocado Smoothie - I thought this would be a good, beachy combination. It came out edible, but it wasn't the greatest experience. I think the chia seeds made it too thick. It was difficult to get to a pourable consistency. Fail. I couldn't finish it.
1 cup almond milk
1/2 avocado
1 tbsp. fresh lime juice
2 tsp. chia seeds
1/4 cup shredded coconut
4 dates

So, I gave up on the avocados for a little while. And, I tried making a green smoothie using kale for a pre-workout! This is the first time I've ever bought kale, but I have quickly become a fan.

Source
Kale Protein Super Smoothie
1 cup unsweetened almond milk*
1 frozen banana
1/2 cup frozen mango
1 cup kale
1 scoop vanilla protein powder, optional
1/4 cup orange or apple juice
2 tbs. hemp seed**

Yay! This one came out yummy! It made enough for two smoothies, although you can drink the whole thing. It's pretty thick from the kale and hemp seed, but it actually has good flavor. Adding pineapple chunks or juice would be good too!

2/28/2014 Update: I made another green smoothie this morning...
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup OJ
1/2 frozen banana
1/2 cup frozen mango
1 cup kale
1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder, optional

I really enjoyed this one! The water made the smoothie a lot lighter, and it was smoother without the hemp seed.

*I found almond milk at WholeFoods for $1.67! It's the 365 WholeFoods' generic brand and comes in a box. I even think it tastes better than other brands that are almost twice the price.
**I don't have much information about the hemp seed and need to do more research; however, a friend of mine who has started eating very clean uses it. And, WholeFoods was giving out free samples so I figured it can't hurt. I believe it provides protein and fiber.


No comments:

Post a Comment