February 1, 2014

Sushi

To make a long, but worthy, story short... My roommate and I went to Pasadena, CA to watch the College Football National Championship in January. Go Noles!! It was just the two of us on the trip, and we didn't really have any major plans except to attend the football game and see as much as we could see of California and the surrounding area. By the end of the trip, we were part of a group of about 10-15 people and had friends who we have kept in contact with since the end of our trip.

So, those friends are in town this weekend for the National Championship celebration and asked me to join them for dinner tonight at a new sushi place in town. I have to say, I was worried about this menu because, as you're probably thinking, sushi = rice, and  Asian food usually includes crunchy, yummy things that we paleo's cannot have (tempura, wontons, etc.). Oh, and to my disappointment when I was pulling it out of the freezer at Publix about a week ago, edamame is not paleo because it's soy.

The good news is that there is a lot of paleo-izable things on the menu. I hope you like raw fish! Sushi places usually have the sashimi option of several types of fish (tuna, albacore, salmon, etc.) which means you get the sushi (raw fish) without rice. And, it's actually really good! Tip #6: Sashimi is sushi without the rice. A lot of times, too, sushi restaurants will have some sort of salad with seared ahi (tuna) on top. That's usually a good option as well. Speaking of salads, this takes me back to a few weeks ago, at the beginning of my paleo journey, when I was at a lunch meeting at another sushi place, Masa (menu). My order: Grilled Salmon Salad with dressing on the side The salad was great - I'm still unsure as to exactly how they cooked the salmon - it may have had some questionable condiments, but they were minimal - but it was as close as possible and the salad had great vegetables.

My order: Robata Grill New York Strip, salmon & asparagus Unfortunately they were out of asparagus which I still don't understand. So, I got kale and portabello mushrooms instead. This was my first kale experience, and it was so good.

Ginza Red Menu

No comments:

Post a Comment