February 6, 2014

Tropical Smoothie

Tropical Smoothie hit the jackpot today when they posted a $2.00 off a Smoothie coupon. I would have never thought to go there because it wouldn't have hit me as paleo-friendly. But, I had to go to Publix anyway and there's one next door. So, I figured I'd do some investigating and see if they, in fact, are paleo-friendly.

First, let me tell you - This whole ridding your body of sugar and not craving it is true. I am an avid baker, and tonight proved the real changes paleo has done to my body and appetite. Avid baker...not meaning bake a few times each semester. No, like I have entered, not one, but two recipes into a baking contest this weekend. And, for my "warm-up" tonight, I baked Reese's cupcakes for a friend's boyfriend's birthday. You know it's serious when you're baking for a guy you've never met and is dating one of your best friends...


So, believe me. If I could bake these beautiful pieces of art, from scratch, and not take a bite... You can rid your body of sugar too!

Source: www.tropicalsmoothie.com
OK, back to the paleo stuff... I knew going in that I would have to at least make one specification. All Tropical Smoothies are made with turbinado (raw sugar). Tip #7: Check smoothies for added sugar. So, knowing that, I wondered what other hidden sugar was on their menu. Like, do they coat their sugar in sugar so it juices? I asked a few questions, and (pleasantly surprisingly) the hidden sugar stops at "No sugar." They use real, fresh fruit without added sugar. My order: Health Nut (blueberries, banana, mango) without sugar or protein powder They let me add extra blueberries because of the "No sugar." The smoothie was pretty good, but I won't lie - I like my coconut smoothies (Recipe Book) better, simply because the ice base at Tropical Smoothie tones down the flavor, in my opinion. However, there are a surprising amount of paleo options on their menu! Any smoothie without yogurt ordered without sugar, basically all fruit, is perfectly paleo. Oh, and after I ordered, I noticed one with spinach, kale, pineapple and banana. I think I'll go for that one next time!

 
2/7/2014 Update: I went back today to use the coupon again before it expired. Don't worry, I went with a friend - so, I'm not a complete loser going twice in two days. I got the Island Green (spinach, kale, banana, mango, pineapple) without sugar. This one was a lot better than yesterday's, and it's green!

4/6/2014 Update: I have read some articles that say turbinado is an okay sweetener for paleo because it is not refined and therefore natural. I try to stay away from all added sweeteners when possible (except honey), so I would still order mine without turbinado; however, it's not as excluded as I thought. Either way, check smoothies for added sugar because not all places will use natural sugar. Go Tropical Smoothie!

Tropical Smoothie Menu

3 comments:

  1. This is one of the best blogs I’ve ever read. I m absolutely excited to get to read such a well blog.
    Blendtec

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the valuable information you deliver for your articles or blog posts. Let me save the blog site look once more the following frequently. I'm reasonably guaranteed I'm going to study quite a few new information good below! Good luck for!
    Blendtec

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Melanie. That's just the information I needed!

    ReplyDelete