March 31, 2014

A Weekend of Pampering Mom

Even though I love cooking and get excited about planning great weeks of meals, I tend to avoid difficult/complex recipes, especially during the week. But, this weekend, I had a wonderful excuse to break out some skill and challenge myself. As you know, my mom and sister are also paleo. And, as my sister likes to point out, meals at home are better than restaurants anyways... at least most of the time. So, I spent the past two weeks planning and preparing for Mom to visit, came up with a comprehensive grocery list and went all out.

First, she was welcomed with a gift basket that my sister and I collaboratively put together. I sent her home with a loaf of Paleo Bread, a jar of Paleo Strawberry Jam, a jar of Paleo Blackberry Chia Seed Jam, a jar of Homemade Ketchup (Recipe Book), & a jar of Trail Mix (Mom's Creation).

  • Friday breakfast: Omelet with Red Onion, Spinach & Honey Goat Cheese & Turkey Bacon
  • Friday lunch: Chicken Breast with Sauteed Zucchini & Squash and Salad with Strawberry Balsamic Vinaigrette
  • Friday dinner: Andrew's Bar & Grille
  • All weekend: Mom's Paleo Coffee Creamer (Recipe Book)
    • This stuff made me want to drink coffee all weekend. It's awesome! Coconut oil may be omitted.
  • Saturday breakfast: Baked Eggs with Spinach (Recipe Book)
  • Saturday lunch: Harry's Seafood Bar & Grille
  • Saturday appetizer/study snack: Trader Joe's Plantain Chips with Guacamole (Recipe Book)

  • Sunday morning post-run treat: Atomic Coffee
  • Sunday Breakfast
  • Sunday lunch: Buffalo Wild Wings
    • Sunday study snack: Bacon-Wrapped Pineapple
      • My computer was being used for a study session, so I did my own thing with this. I just wrapped pineapple chunks in bacon using 1 strip for every 3 chunks. Then I baked it at 375 for about 20 minutes and then broiled it for like 10 minutes on High until the bacon crisped. The flavors together were great, but I think I stretched the bacon too thin and should've used more bacon per chunk. I'll work on it.
    • Sunday dinner: Chicken Pot Pie with Salad with Strawberry Balsamic Vinaigrette; Dessert: Honey Roasted Peaches (Recipe Book) 
      • I was nervous about the pot pie when it came out of the oven because it did not look like it was going to be so great. I was wrong... It was actually wonderful! The crust did not work for me, so I ended up just crumbling it over the top and covering it that way. Really, it didn't make a difference. I think the almond flour I made may have been too dry or something... haven't figured it out. I used radishes and a sweet potato in place of the plantain. I highly recommend this recipe. And, it makes a ton so that means LEFTOVERS!
      • The Strawberry Balsamic Vinaigrette is really easy and really good. I used frozen strawberries that I thawed the day before I made the dressing.
    • Monday breakfast: Fried Eggs, Turkey Bacon, leftover Honey Roasted Peaches & Paleo Bread with Sweet Potato Butter (Nuts.com)

    No comments:

    Post a Comment