Mexican food is hard to do paleo, but I learned on this trip that it's possible. There is a TON of information from this trip, so I've posted each restaurant separately, so they're easily accessible (links included here). Then, I wrote about meals that weren't at restaurants below.
|Cake Batter Chocolate Chip Cookies|
Update: Here is my reflection on this trip as a whole. From My Paleo Perspective For us paleos, fresh produce is extremely important. To have the perspective of where it all comes from and who is providing it to our stores really sets into place how lucky we are to be able to maintain this diet with so many health benefits.
We stopped at Jason's Deli to have dinner on the way down and then made a late-night Starbucks stop - I had a green tea with 1 pack of honey.
- Saturday's breakfast consisted of a banana and a Larabar from my stash. Everyone got food from Dunkin Donuts... I ordered a green tea.
- Saturday's lunch: Subway
- Saturday snack: Farmer's Market
- Saturday's dinner: homemade Cuban dinner at a program administrator's house. The food was wonderful. I didn't eat rice or beans and ended up eating picadillo (ground beef and olives, basically) with salad and plantains.
- Sunday breakfast: 2 hard-boiled eggs (Road Trip), 1/2 banana & Jason's Deli trail mix
- Sunday lunch: Mexican Food; Chicken Enchiladas - I unrolled the enchiladas and ate the chicken from the inside... free of sour cream and cheese. It was perfect because my vegetarian friend ate the rice and beans.
- Sunday dinner (Cookout): 2 beef hotdogs w/o buns w/ ketchup & mustard & almonds (from my stash)
- Monday breakfast:
- Larabar at 5:30am before a meeting with farm workers before they went to work
- Apple, dried mango, dark chocolate (from my stash) & hard-boiled eggs around 10:00
- Monday lunch: Wendy's
- Monday snack: almonds (from my stash), watermelon & grape tomatoes
- They brought us grape tomatoes fresh from a farm... They were so good.
- Monday dinner: Mexican Food at Mr. Taco
- Originally I ordered 1 steak taco and 2 chicken tacos, of which I planned to eat the filling without the tortillas. With 31 people in this little shop, the food came out sporadically, and they actually never got the chicken taco recipe. So, I ended up eating my 1 steak taco - OK, I ate the corn tortilla... mistake because I was obsessed with them going forward.
- And we made a late order for Surf & Turf fajitas... Tip #16: Order fajitas at Mexican restaurants. It was all paleo (chicken and shrimp, onions and green peppers) and OMG, so good. Jeff (paleo professor) and I wanted to make sure it's clear that fajitas are the way to go because we both originally ordered tacos and then changed our orders when we saw the fajitas come out for someone else.
- Tuesday breakfast:
- 1 hard-boiled egg pre-run
- Post-run hard-boiled egg & dried pineapple
- Mexican food breakfast: Huevos con Chorizo y avocado (Eggs with Mexican sausage and avocado) - This was AMAZING! I have to tell on myself for eating 3 1/2 corn tortillas with breakfast, but my intentions were all good. I ordered the meal without rice and beans. I can't even explain how good the Mexican food in this town was. I refuse to eat Mexican food again until we go back.
|Huevos con Chorizo y avocado|