March 22, 2014

Cooking with Chancey

One of the greatest relationships I have made this year is with my friend Chancey. We sat behind each other for about 3 months before we had a real conversation with each other. But, once we did - we instantly hit it off. And, we suffered through long days and nights of studying hours on end together during finals last semester. Now, she is one of my best friends. She's been on-and-off paleo since January but always eats super healthily. Tonight we made dinner together. She made turkey meatballs, and I made mashed cauliflower with grilled zucchini.

Apricot Turkey Meatballs, "Cheesy" Mashed Cauliflower & Grilled Zucchini

"Cheesy" Mashed Cauliflower:
1 head cauliflower, chopped
1.5 tsp nutritional yeast
~1/4 cup almond milk
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Boil the cauliflower florets until soft to a fork. Drain. Blend in a bowl using a hand mixer with other ingredients.
Tip #18: Use mashed cauliflower in place of mashed potatoes for a side dish.

Grilled Zucchini:
2 small zucchini, sliced length-wise
2 tbs olive oil
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
Marinate zucchini in olive oil and spices. I did about an hour, but you can do this up to all day! Then place the slices in a single layer on a heated grill (I used a George Forman). Grill about 4 minutes and flip and grill for another 4 minutes. You really can grill it as much or as little as you'd like, depending on your consistency preference. This was my first time making grilled zucchini, and I love it!

Apricot Turkey Meatballs
1 lb. ground turkey
~1/4 cup apricot preserves (I know these probably had sugar and/or corn syrup in them. However, I didn't want to complain. To avoid added sugars, try pureeing apricots with honey in the blender or food processor.)
garlic powder
sea salt
black pepper
Preheat the oven to 400. Mix all ingredients together in a bowl. Shape into meatballs. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet/pan. Sprinkle with sea salt, pepper & garlic powder (This really added flavor to the finished product). Bake for 30 minutes. They're that easy! I am definitely going to make my own versions of turkey meatballs more often. How simple and yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment