March 29, 2014

Dry Mouth

Has anyone else's mouth been feeling like this lately? I had never noticed my mouth being dry until about a month ago during Mock Trial Tryouts. I felt like my tongue was pasted to the top of my mouth by the time I was done giving my Closing Statement. And, I've noticed it consistently since.

I mentioned it to my mom and she said she had noticed it too but thought it was from something else. So, I decided to do a little research and found some plausible explanations. Several posts suggested that a low-carb diet can cause dry mouth. On one post, it was mentioned what foods help and exacerbate these problems. Interestingly, paleo foods help dry mouth (walnuts, broccoli, kale), and non-paleo foods (grains, pizza, etc.) did not help. Here are simple, reasonable explanations that I found:
Source
  • Ketosis has a diuretic (increasing urine excretion) effect which, in turn, causes dry mouth.
  • Water washes away saliva.
  • Constantly drinking water makes your mouth rely on the constant inflow. When the inflow is interrupted, i.e. a meeting, presentation, empty water bottle, then it becomes dry.
All in all, I think it's just from the constant inflow, and therefore outflow, of fluids. Make sure you always have water with you and eat your fruits and veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment