March 7, 2014

Fruitbowl Friday

I know the strawberries go in the fridge, but they were on SUPER sale this week and I bought a TON, so I thought they deserved some spotlight.
  • Saturday Breakfast: Paleo Chocolate Chip Banana Pancakes 
  • Saturday Dinner: Baked Tilapia (Recipe Book) and Sauteed Kale 
    • I just sauteed the kale in coconut oil until tender and topped with the sauce used for the fish.
  • Sunday Lunch: Turkey Burger (Recipe Book) with Goat Cheese, Homemade Ketchup (Recipe Book) & Salad
    • The turkey burger was left from the night I made Turkey Burgers with Grilled Pineapple (Recipe here) which I froze and thawed for lunch today.
    • Salad: Romaine lettuce with a hard-boiled egg & diced green onion, dressed with sauce from last night's Baked Tilapia (Recipe Book)
  • Breakfasts: Almond Butter Muffins (Recipe Book) with Fresh Fruit & Egg Whites with Sauteed Asparagus
    • Don't knock asparagus with breakfast until you try it. It's one of my favorites! Sautee it with coconut oil and sprinkle with garlic powder, sea salt & pepper.
    • Almond Butter Muffin, Asparagus & Egg White
    • Plus, vegetables don't have the amount of sugar as fruit, so having this fruit-less breakfast will cut sugar out of your diet without compromising your intake of fresh produce.
  • Monday & Tuesday Lunch: Spinach Burgers with Salad*
    • Sub almond flour for breadcrumbs and crumbled goat cheese for shredded cheese 
  • Monday Dinner: T-Bone steaks with Bacon-Wrapped Asparagus
    • This asparagus recipe is AMAZING! I loved it! Asparagus + Bacon... How could you go wrong?
    • I used this stove-top method for the steaks again... Although it's messy, it really produces an amazingly juicy and flavorful steak.
    • Pineapple Salsa
    • Fun Fact: A T-Bone steak is a NY strip and Filet Mignon, connected by the bone. The wider and longer piece on top is a NY strip, and the more tender, smaller piece below the bone is the Filet.
  • Tuesday Dinner: Shrimp Taco Lettuce Wraps with Pineapple Salsa
    • My sister chose this recipe, and I can only claim fame to the salsa which I prepped before the gym. I used dried cilantro instead of fresh because I've stopped buying fresh herbs. I know, I know... they're so much better. But, I feel like I never finish them, so they just sit and wilt in the refrigerator drawer. 
    • This paleo-tized recipe is the epitome  of the greatness of paleo - Everything is so fresh and flavorful.
  • Wednesday & Thursday Lunch: Rainbow Chicken Salad with Almond Honey Mustard Dressing*
    • I used blackberries instead of blueberries, just because they were less expensive this week, and honey goat cheese instead of feta. This is one of my new favorite salads! The Almond Butter adds such a unique flavor to the salad - I really enjoyed this.
      Rainbow Chicken Salad (before dressing and chopped almonds)
  • Wednesday Dinner: Grilled Ahi Steaks, Sweet Potatoes & Zucchini/Squash; Dessert: Coconut Flour Shortbread Cookies
    • Tonight I had dinner with a friend from school. He had the ahi steaks which he seasoned with lemon juice from 1/2 of a lemon, salt, pepper and then baked. It was AWESOME! I had never had ahi steaks, and now I want them every night. He also made sweet potatoes which he thinly sliced and covered with pureed bananas (in place of his usual sugar), cinnamon & nutmeg... amazing. Cheers to a great friend being paleo-compliant for me!
    • I brought the veggies.
      • I sauteed 1/2 of an onion (chopped) and 1 clove of minced garlic in coconut oil and then added the zucchini and squash (chopped into thick quarters) with lemon juice, sea salt & pepper.
    • Dinner was awesome, but it tasted that much better with such great company.
    • I'm not sure how I feel about the cookies. I had to add about 1 tsp. coconut flour, and it still only made 3 cookies. I also added about 1/2 tsp. vanilla. They had good flavor and stayed together like a cookie (which I wasn't sure was going to happen) But, they were extremely dry.
  • Friday Lunch: Finish the Pineapple Salsa in Lettuce Wraps with Sliced Avocado*
    • This is my concoction for using what needs to be eaten before I leave for Spring Break. The pineapple salsa recipe makes a lot; I may 1/2 it next time.
Today I leave for an Alternative Spring Break trip... Staying paleo should be interesting, so wish me luck! I have posts from popular chains scheduled for the next few days. Check back each day for more paleo menu options at popular dinner destinations.  
Happy Spring Break! 

*Recipes that can be packed and taken to work/school

No comments:

Post a Comment