March 21, 2014

Fruitbowl Friday

This is one of the best weeks for the fruitbowl! I came back from SB feeling really out of whack and "fat." I didn't eat terribly at all. I just ate a lot more than usual and didn't get much time to work-out. So, for the most part, I tried to stay away from sugar this week and only bought the fruit I needed to make the recipes I planned. Other than that, I snacked on low-sugar things like celery and sunflower butter and nuts. I didn't want to go back to the "Challenge" strictly but really tried to reign it back, closer to bare-bones paleo, i.e. eggs and bacon in the mornings rather than muffins, tuna with avocado for lunch and no desserts (too many paleo brownies at the beach), until Wednesday night when I had an extra avocado (See below).
Honey Mustard Pecan Baked Salmon & Broccoli
  • Sunday lunch: Honey Mustard Pecan Baked Salmon & Broccoli 
    • I made this up as I went to put the salmon in the oven. I used ~1 tsp. honey, 1 tbs. dijon mustard & 1/4 tsp. rice wine vinegar and coated the fish with it. Then, I hand-chopped ~5 pecans and put them on top. Then, I baked it at 375 for 15 minutes. SUPER easy & yummy!
    • I accidentally dropped extra pecans on the pan as I was making the salmon, so I decided to let them go in the oven too. I took them out after about 8 minutes - AWESOME toasted pecans.
  • Sunday dinner: Paleo Spaghetti*+
  • Breakfasts: Egg-White Bites (picture below) with Turkey Bacon+
    • I used spinach (stems torn off and shredded), ~1/2 red onion, diced & 1/2 red pepper, diced for these. They're so cute!
  • Monday lunch: Leftover Paleo Spaghetti
  • Monday dinner: Apple Cinnamon Pork Loin with Roasted Sweet Potatoes and Spinach with Pecans
    • I accidentally used white onion instead of yellow onion for this. And, I omitted the honey and added about 1/4 cup of beef broth to the bottom of the crock pot.
    • Roasted Sweet Potatoes: I sliced them to 1/4"-1/2" slices and put them on a cookie sheet, drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with cinnamon & a small amount of nutmeg. I roasted them at 400 for about 20 minutes, flipping them half-way through.
    • Spinach with Pecans: I heated some crushed pecans and then added coconut oil and sauteed the spinach.
    • Overall, this meal was a great combination of flavors. The continuity of the cinnamon (paired with apples and pecans) really pulled everything together. The pork was not as flavorful on its own as I would like, but it was a super easy recipe that is great with the right pairing.
  • Tuesday & Thursday lunch: "Open-faced" Tuna Cucumbers with Bell Peppers*+
    • I decided to mix it up and get creative with lunch today. I peeled a cucumber and sliced it lengthwise as many times as I could. The pieces were about 1/2" thick. Then, I topped it with tuna salad (1 can tuna, 1 avocado, 1/4 cup red onion & a few bell pepper slices (chopped), salt & pepper) and a few crumbles of honey goat cheese. Although cucumbers have basically 0 calories, eating the tuna this way really made it seem like a lot more food.
      "Open-faced" Tuna Cucumbers with Bell Peppers
  • Tuesday dinner: Leftover Pork Loin and Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Spinach (sauteed in coconut oil with onions)
  • Wednesday dinner: Herb & Citrus Roasted Chicken with Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Rosemary and White Wine Spinach; Dessert: Paleo Chocolate Avocado Pudding+ with Cacao Nibs & Roasted Pecans
    • This dinner turned into something amazing just by using what I had in the kitchen. Originally I planned to do the chicken and spinach and that's it. Then, I realized I had 1 sweet potato left and 1 extra avocado.
    • The Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Rosemary were wonderful! The olive oil and rosemary give it such a different flavor from the ordinary sweetness of cinnamon something-or-other; and, it really paired nicely with the flavors of the chicken.
    • The chicken was great; although, my sister and I are kind of over the drumsticks. I have a hard time with bone-in chicken pieces in general. But, there is great flavor with this recipe! I used all dried seasonings instead of fresh.
    • For the spinach, I tried to emulate something from last week but it wasn't successful. Basically, it was just spinach wilted in olive oil and white cooking wine.
    • The pudding was yummy! This was a different recipe than last time. I made it ahead of time and refrigerated it which I think really helps the flavor and hides the avocadoness. The pecans were roasted at 325 while we ate dinner - this makes them crunchier and more flavorful!
    • There was also an extra drumstick after dinner that I shredded and put over spinach, onions & a hard-boiled egg for my sister's lunch on Thursday.*+
*Recipes that can be packed and taken to work/school
+Recipes that can be made ahead 
Onion, Orange & Lemon for Herb & Citrus Roasted Chicken
Egg-White Bites pre-baking

No comments:

Post a Comment