March 28, 2014

Fruitbowl Friday

First, I would like to say that I am almost out of sugar and flour! I made these chocolate chip cookies for a friend who gave me a 30 oz. bag of dark chocolate chips. I may or may not have had a lapse of judgment and self-control and eaten one or two of them. But, that's beside the point. I got up and ran 3.02 miles the next day. So, I'm excused, right? Remember the "Get Right Back on the Wagon" post?

  • Alternative Spring Break Reunion Potluck Party (Sunday dinner): Baked Sweet Plantains*
    • This was my first time every doing anything with plantains except eating them. I Google'd a ton about it and came up with "Basically, do whatever you want." So, I peeled and sliced them and arranged them in a single layer in a 13x9 pan. Then, I drizzled (what I thought was) a lot of olive oil over them and sporadically topped them with 4 sliced garlic cloves. Then I baked them at like 300 for about 20 minutes, I think. I was making the bread and jam at the same time, so they weren't my main priority.
    • They didn't meet my expectations, but everyone at dinner thought they were great. I think they needed more oil because some of the pieces were dry. Maybe I'll give it another try at some point. 
  • Breakfasts: Paleo Bread*+ & Homemade Strawberry Jam*+
    • See Bread post.
      Paleo Bread with Homemade Strawberry Jam
    •  I used frozen strawberries for the jam which I don't think was good to do. A friend and I made this together, and she used fresh strawberries and ended up with about 1/4 the amount of jam but with a lot thicker jam. Mine was pretty soupy, so I added about 2 tsp. chia seeds, thinking they'd soak up some of the extra juice. 
    • It tasted great but was just a little runny, compared to the normal consistency of jam. Use fresh strawberries for this recipe.
  • Monday lunch: Salad with Grilled Chicken & Balsamic Vinaigrette*+ (Recipe Book)
  • Monday dinner: Roasted Red Pepper Cauliflower Soup+ with Paleo Garlic Rolls
    • See the Bread post on the Garlic Rolls.
    • This soup was great! The hand mixer was too fast and made it splatter everywhere, so I used the blender instead which worked perfectly. It is surprisingly filling, too! I don't think my peppers were roasted enough because the skins were barely discolored and therefore didn't peel very easily.
  • Tuesday lunch: Grilled Chicken with Sauteed Zucchini & Yellow Squash*+
    • Simply slice the amount of zucchini and yellow squash that you'd like and sautee it in coconut oil until tender. Use garlic powder, onion powder, salt and/or pepper (to taste) for seasoning. You can also sautee onion slices with these as well.
  • Tuesday dinner:  Crock Pot Chicken with Applesauce & Sweet Potatoes with Paleo Garlic Breadsticks
    • Prep: Chop the sweet potato and red onion the night before. 
    • Use your garlic press (Paleo Products page) for the garlic cloves.
    • I didn't have curry powder - although I thought I did - so I used cumin. This is a great meal that's so easy!
    • Garlic Bread: I told you this bread was good! Two nights in a row. I used better oil tonight and pressed the garlic rather than chopping it. And, I made it into a loaf instead of rolls and then cut it into "breadsticks"... AMAZING!
  • Wednesday dinner: Dijon Almond-Crusted Tilapia with Roasted Asparagus; Dessert: Homemade Strawberry Applesauce
    • My sister was in charge of tonight's dinner and it was incredible. This recipe was 10x better than when I made almond-crusted tilapia last time. I think it's because mine was baked and this was fried in coconut oil. Also, she used the food processor to grind the almonds. I used a simple chopper... definitely use the food processor!
    • See Applesauce post for information on dessert!
  •  Thursday lunch: Poppyseed Chicken Salad Salad*+
    • See Chicken Salad in Recipe Book; For this recipe, I used:
      • 1 chicken breast, poppy seeds, red onion, raisins, walnuts, mayo & lemon juice
    • Other salad toppings: grape tomatoes & cucumber 
  • Thursday dinner: Campout at Panera (post coming soon)*+
*Recipes that can be packed and taken to work/school
+Recipes that can be made ahead

No comments:

Post a Comment