March 11, 2014

Road Trip (Alt. Spring Break)


Today I got back from one of the best trips of my life. Sleeping in bunk beds, showering in a building about 30 yards from the house & feeling like we were in another country has never been so wonderfully inspiring and fun. We were told we couldn't drink the water before we went, and we were responsible for our own food all week. It took us about 9 hours to get down to Immokalee and about 7 to get back... Road Trip! Although I felt like I was stocking up for a hurricane, here's what I packed with me for the trip:
  • kale chips
  • almonds
  • dark chocolate (Ghiradelli squares, 86% cocoa)
  • 2 bananas
  • apple
  • DIY Trail Mix
  • dried pineapple
  • dried mango
  • 2 Smart Waters
  • Lara Bars (2 Apple Pie & 3 Coconut Macaroon Uber)
Gas Station finds along the way:
  • bananas/fresh fruit (usually by the register)
  • plantain chips (unsweetened; check ingredients)
  • hard-boiled eggs (I was so excited to find these in a grocery store. They also came with sea salt and pepper!)
  • beef jerkey (I didn't have any of this, but feel free!)
Late night Walgreens run:
  • roasted cashews with sea salt
  • dark chocolate (Ghiradelli squares, 86% cocoa; This was my splurge for the night.)
  • eggs which I took home and boiled for snacks/breakfasts
Even better - One of the professors on the trip has been paleo for three years and had a TON of paleo ideas, recipes, scientific information and other wonderful stuff. He's part of a paleo meet-up group that I am going to join soon. I'm so excited! He eats a lot of pork rines because they're completely carb-free.

Homemade beef jerky - This would be a great source of protein to take with you on a road trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment