March 27, 2014

When life gives you apples...

Make Applesauce. Or, Strawberry Applesauce.

I was at school for a networking meeting this afternoon, and they served "healthy" snacks - the paleo options being bananas and apples. Attendance was lower than they expected, so there was a bowl of fruit waiting to be claimed. Now, I have some dignity... Otherwise, I would have taken the whole bowl home. Don't think I didn't consider it. Instead, I grabbed 2 bananas and an apple. As the meeting went on and no one else came in, I contemplated how I could grab at least another apple on the way out.

And, as my mind wandered to food like it always does, it clicked. The dessert slot was wide open for tonight, and I knew just the thing. I could use these homeless apples I was just given and the leftover Homemade Strawberry Jam (See this week's Fruitbowl Friday post!) in the refrigerator to make Homemade Paleo Strawberry Applesauce. Genius!

So, I came home and did just that. First off, where has homemade applesauce been my whole life?! It is so easy! I used two small red apples that I chopped into pieces (as you can see above). Then, I boiled them in about 1/4 cup water for 20 minutes, stirring periodically. Then, I mashed them with a spoon and took off the peels - I would suggest peeling the apple before you boil it. I just didn't think about it and realized when it was too late. Then, for this batch, I stirred in the Homemade Strawberry Jam that was going to go bad in a few days... put it in a mason jar and refrigerated it until dinner.

During dinner, I roasted pecans that were tossed in honey, cinnamon & a dash of nutmeg at 350 for 20 minutes. Those were the perfect topping!

Recipe:
1/4 cup water per every two apples
Spices (optional): cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves
Honey (~1 tsp per 2 apples)
Additional fruit (optional): strawberries, kiwi, blueberries, blackberries

Peel, core and chop the apples. Bring to a boil in a sauce pan with the water. Add any other fruit and spices. I just added about 3-4 tbsp. of Homemade Strawberry Jam in place of additional fruit and spices. Reduce heat. Cover and boil for another 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mash with any utensil until desired consistency. Refrigerate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment