April 19, 2014

Cookbook Swap

Already gone through your cookbooks? Don't want to dig through Pinterest for paleo-friendly recipes? Or, don't have the budget to buy a slew of paleo-friendly cookbooks? Here's a thought! Tip #25: Swap cookbooks with a friend to accumulate new recipes in a budget-friendly way.

A few months ago I met someone at school who has been gluten-free and primarily paleo since last September. Lucky for her (and now for me too), her birthday was in November, so she was the proud new owner of 7 or 8 gluten-free cookbooks. Upon our conversation about my blog and adventures with paleo myself, she agreed to let me borrow her beloved cookbooks. I pulled a few out of the first round; but, I'm not kidding, I hit the jackpot on this second round. In case you're interested in buying it, this is the book.
Amazon
I flagged almost every page of this book. Usually I copy the recipes using my roommate's copy machine, but I didn't want to waste that much paper. Instead, I used my phone and took pictures of the recipes I flagged. So, you'll be seeing a lot of recipes from this book in the near future.

Today, for lunch, I made my first recipe out of this book. All of the ingredients (except green onions which I omitted) were in my pantry/refrigerator. It was wonderful!

"Ginger Lime Chicken Bites:
Chicken:
1 tbsp. coconut oil
3 boneless skinless [organic] chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
Sauce:
juice of 1 organic lime - I used bottled lime juice.
2 tbsp. coconut aminos
1 tbsp. olive oil - Now that I'm writing this, I realize that I left this out. Didn't notice it was missing!
1 tsp. freshly grated ginger - I used dried.
1 garlic clove, minced [or pressed]
1 tbsp. raw organic honey
1 tsp. granulated onion
Topping: chopped green onions and/or sesame seeds
  1. Mix sauce ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
  2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken. Cook chicken, stirring occassionally, until browned and almost done. About 5 minutes.
  3. Add sauce to skillet, turn heat to low and simmer, uncovered for another 5 minutes, or until chicken pieces are cooked through. [At this point, I was sick of the coconut oil splattering that I covered it for about 7 minutes. Does anyone have a trick for decreasing coconut oil splatter?]
  4. ...Top chicken bites with chopped green onions and sesame seeds. Enjoy!"
"Like" Resourceful Paleo on Facebook for updates in your Newsfeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment