April 7, 2014

Cooking for One

I've been cooking for my sister for so long now that I almost forgot what it was like to just cook for myself. Tonight she had an event, so it was just me. It actually wasn't too bad. This must be what life will be like next year when she has her own apartment. I made BBQ chicken, Mashed Sweet Potatoes & Green Beans. This was a pretty simple dinner with simple ingredients which makes it a great weeknight meal.

For the BBQ chicken, I sliced a chicken breast in half width-wise, so I had two skinnier pieces. Chicken and I have agreed to disagree which means we don't get along well; so, I have weird quirks that help me be a little nicer... or just eat it easier (to stop personifying my food)... making it thinner being one of them. Plus, it cooks quicker. I seasoned the chicken with sea salt, pepper & garlic powder and put it on the George Forman and then spooned Gluten-Free BBQ Sauce (Products) onto it - repeat on the other side then keep flipping basting the meat with the sauce until cooked thoroughly.

For the Green Beans, I cut the ends and boiled them in water with 1 tsp. lemon juice and some sea salt for about 10 minutes after the water began to boil. So easy! Season with sea salt and pepper.

Now, I'm really proud of these Mashed Sweet Potatoes...
First, I read in an article that boiling sweet potatoes retains more nutrients than baking does. Second, I recently learned that the skin of sweet potatoes have so many health benefits. This is the perfect way to include them without them standing out!
2 sweet potatoes, 1" slices quartered (skins remain)
2 tbs. almond milk, unsweetened
1 tbs. Grade B maple syrup
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg

Boil a pot of water with 1/2 tsp sea salt. Add potatoes and boil until tender to a fork, approximately 40 minutes. Drain. Put into a mixing bowl with the remaining ingredients and blend with a hand mixer until smooth.

The green beans and mashed sweet potatoes will keep for about a week in the refrigerator.

2 comments:

  1. I love sweet potatoes, but I didnt' know that boiling sweet potatoes help retain their nutrients..interesting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure how credible the source was, but I'm glad I read it because I always roasted/baked them. Boiling them was actually really easy and worked perfectly for this recipe!

      Delete