April 14, 2014

Decoded: Why is corn not paleo?

Source
Aside from, "I don't know how you do that," one of the most common comments/questions I get about paleo is "Why can't you have [insert food here]?" And, one of the most common inserted foods is corn, among others like beans and white potatoes. I used to just say something like, "That's a good question. I'm not sure, but I just know I can't eat it."

But, thanks to a friend from school and the topic arising at my friend's cookout last weekend, I now know. So for those of you who get the same questions, knock this one off of your list of ones for which you don't have an answer. My goal is to have them all knocked off pretty soon. :)

Corn is a C-4 plant which relates to plants that are easy to grow and are calorie-dense, meaning they provided easy calories when food production was difficult in a week economy, i.e., the Depression. It is also a grain which is obviously not paleo. But, my question always was, "But, Native Americans lived off of the earth and they grew corn." To rebut that though, the corn they grew and ate was different from this mass-produced plant we see in grocery stores. Corn, as we know it, is a starch with little to no nutritional value.

What other questions do you get asked frequently that you can't answer?

The Paleo List

No comments:

Post a Comment