April 20, 2014

[Easter] Sunday

For those of you celebrating today, Happy Easter!

For those of you not celebrating or without any exciting plans for this holiday, you're not alone. My Con Law book and I have a great Sunday planned together, so my [Easter] Sunday plans aren't too exciting either.

Although, I did decide to make some exciting recipes in semi-holiday spirit and would like to indulge you in my menu for the day. I'll update it as the day goes on. I'll be in the same chair in front of my computer alll day. Yay for final exam time!

Breakfast
Chai Coffee - Mix 1 cup ground coffee with 1 tsp. cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. cardamom, 1/4 tsp. nutmeg and 1/8 tsp. ginger. Mix well and brew. This coffee is awesome. Awesome. Awesome. It makes coffee so much more exciting! Who thought to to add spices to plain coffee?? Genius!

Poached Eggs over Spinach & Onions I just poached my first egg! I'm so excited. I used these directions.

Lunch
Coffee-Rubbed Pork Chop with leftover Garlic Zucchini & Mushrooms (Recipe Book)
I used this coffee rub which I had leftover from when I made Coffee-Rubbed Ribeye. I just rubbed both sides of a boneless porkchop with the rub and fried it in coconut oil until done. Simple, easy, yummy!

Snack
Dark Chocolate - Dark chocolate is a great way to satisfy a sweet tooth. Or... make you feel like you're participating in a holiday like Easter without completely blowing your anti-sugar efforts. Try to stick with dark chocolate that has 70% or more cacao. Apparently, I like to diversify my chocolate consumption. I realized I had every dark chocolate of the spectrum in the pantry when I decided that today's holiday provided an excuse to eat dark chocolate all day.

Maple Roasted Pecans - My friend who's over studying with me and I needed something to snack on but couldn't find anything satisfying in the pantry. So, I whipped these together... MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! These are awesome. They taste like the fair!

Before
After
Dinner
Sirloin with Balsamic Mushrooms and Garlicky Green Beans - The combination of flavors in this meal is awesome! It's like something you would order at a restaurant, except better because you know exactly what's in it.
Sirloin: Season both sides of 5 oz. sirloin with sea salt, garlic powder, minced onion & pepper. Grill until cooked to taste.
Balsamic Mushrooms:
coconut oil
1 clove garlic, pressed
1 cup baby bella mushrooms
pepper
2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar

Heat coconut oil in a small sauce pan. Add pressed garlic and sautee until tender - about a minute. Add mushrooms, season with pepper and sautee until mushrooms begin to soften - about 5 minutes - stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low. Drizzle with balsamic vinegar. Simmer until cooked down and almost caramelized - 5-7 minutes - stirring occasionally.
Garlicky Green Beans, adapted from The Healthy Gluten-Free Life by Tammy Credicott
1 tbsp. coconut oil
1 big handful fresh green beans, ends snipped
1 clove garlic, pressed
1 tbsp. coconut aminos
pepper

Heat coconut oil in a large sauce pan. Add green beans and sautee for about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season with pepper. Add garlic and coconut aminos and simmer for another 3-5 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. The coffee is good even without the cardamom...I didn't have any.

    ReplyDelete