April 11, 2014

Friday Brunch

One of the pluses of being in school is having random periods of free-time during the days that would usually be spent in the office. Getting my sister to come over for breakfast is sometimes difficult because she hasn't been forced to jump on the get-up-at-6-am-regularly train yet and likes to get up 3-4 hours after I usually eat.

Today I still got up at 6 and had an interview at 10, but then I had a break until noon... the perfect time to eat brunch together! And, after the week I had, making this breakfast was the fun break I needed. Menu: Lemon Poppyseed Waffles with Fresh Blueberry Sauce and Turkey Bacon


Our time to eat was fairly short so I did a few things before my interview to save some time. I juiced and zested the lemons and set out all of the ingredients. You could also pre-measure and mix the dry stuff to save a few more minutes. I was just behind schedule in getting my hair straightened, printing resumes and putting on a suit to do that.

I didn't use all of the lemon juice for the waffles and saved some for the blueberry sauce. And, I came up with my own thing for the blueberry sauce after reading a few non-paleo recipes. Here's what I did:
Fresh Blueberry Sauce
1 pint fresh blueberries
1/2 cup water
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. Arrowroot
2-3 tbsp. water
1/2 tsp. vanilla

Bring the blueberries, water and lemon juice to a slow boil, stirring almost constantly. Mix the Arrowroot and smaller amount of water in a small bowl. Set aside. Once the blueberries have softened and started to form a sauce, pour in the Arrowroot and water mixture. Boil for another 5 minutes until the sauce thickens. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.

Drizzle honey over the fresh waffles and then top with blueberry sauce. This waffle recipe is slightly dry so the more blueberry sauce, the better. That's why I didn't  put any added sweetener in the blueberries. You can also add 100% maple syrup to the plate for moisture. And to make it extra fancy, sprinkle fresh lemon zest over the plate. 

Another decadent paleo brunch here

No comments:

Post a Comment