April 5, 2014

Grapefruit Juice


Breakfast: 2 fried eggs, 1/2 avocado, 1/2 banana,
Paleo Toast with Blackberry Chia Seed Jam (Recipe Book)
& Grapefruit Juice
This citrus juicer has opened so many doors. Grapefruit and I haven't been friends since my dad accidentally covered mine in salt which he thought was sugar when I was very young.

As I was thinking about what I could do with the juicer aside from oranges, lemons & limes, grapefruits came to mind. Any other ideas?

From a quick glance at Google, I'm convinced grapefruits have great health benefits - including a great amount of Vitamin C, cancer-fighting lycopene, pectin which lowers cholesterol

Recipe:
2 full-size grapefruits, juiced
1/2 cup water, microwaved for 2 minutes
1 tbsp. honey

Dissolve honey in the hot water. Tip #23: Dissolve honey in hot water and then add to cold drink for sweetener. Pour that mixture into the fresh-squeezed grapefruit juice. Refrigerate. If you'd like it to be a little sweeter, just increase the amount of honey.

I also had a grapefruit juice at New Leaf Market last night with pineapple and kale. It will take me a little bit to get used to the bitterness, but I'll get there.

4/6/2014 Update: This weekend I juiced 3 grapefruits and 1 orange together and then sweetened it with the hot water and honey. Adding the orange makes a big difference in the flavor! It adds that sweetness that the grapefruit are missing but isn't too overpowering.

No comments:

Post a Comment