April 15, 2014

Not Worth It...

My ever-so-kind Criminal Law professor brought 4 dozen (maybe more, I didn't count) doughnuts for class today. Lucky for me, I had beef jerky in my backpack. Although I had already eaten enough for a snack about 20 minutes prior, I considered this a valid excuse to go ahead and finish the bag while my classmates enjoyed their doughnuts. To be better than I am, here's a recipe for homemade beef jerky that doesn't require a dehydrator.

It would have been so easy to just cave and eat a doughnut. But, I didn't. What I'm trying to say is that it is possible to give up tempting treats - yes, even when they're free and passed right in front of you. However, I'd be lying if I told you I didn't contemplate it. Here are a few things that went through my mind in the 2 minutes I had to decide whether or not I'd take a doughnut out of the box for myself. Thinking through these things when faced with a similar conundrum will help you in this time of confusion:
  1. It's not worth it. You'll be surprised how poorly you feel after giving into something like a doughnut. After your system has rid itself of processed sugar, gluten and all other things wrapped up in this confection, it goes into this weird shock upon an all-of-a-sudden sugar rush. I'm sure it seems completely worth it while you're eating it, but wait about 20 minutes and you'll see what I mean.
  2. They'll always be there. I think one of the worst results of society and America's fixation on glutenous food is the mindset that every doughnut we see (especially free ones from the town's best doughnut shop) is the last doughnut on Earth. Think about it... How many doughnuts/cookies/cupcakes have you had in your life? How many opportunities have you had to eat one of these? I'm sure you've lost count. Yet, we have this complex where we view the box of doughnuts as the last one we'll ever see or at least treat is as such. Really, that's not true... If, one day, you need one of these, you will have access to it. Skipping the one in front of you will not preclude you from ever eating this again. And, if for some reason, you are in a situation where this is the last doughnut on Earth, PLEASE, for you and me, EAT IT.
  3. In the event that you do indulge, don't beat yourself up. Get Right Back on the Wagon. Paleo is a lifestyle, not a temporary change. If you "slip" and eat a doughnut, who cares? You haven't ruined anything. Appreciate it. Love it. Cherish it. Then focus on the yummy paleo dinner you're making tonight.
  4. Oh, and not eating one yourself means you have the right to take one out of the box and save it for a friend. Paleo = Making Your Friends Happy My friend saw the doughnuts and immediately turned to me and showed me the kind she wanted. She will be getting the doughnut featured in the picture above. I'm "the best." ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment