April 26, 2014

Study Sleepover Breakfast

Finals studying can easily be one of the most miserable times of the semester. But, with a little effort and wonderful friends - it can, instead, be a lot of fun! My G-Little and I had a study sleepover last night... I would like to say I sacrificed something to study; although, let's be real... I would've been in my cave anyway. Although, she decided to not go to formal and to study with me instead. How lucky am I?! Not only that, but she went to WholeFoods and brought PALEO study snacks: veggie chips, chocolate-covered espresso beans (Okay, these may be a stretch.) and dried papaya!!!

I took the liberty of covering breakfast...
Paleo Pumpkin Pancakes with Fresh Applewood Smoked Bacon
I went to EarthFare for the first time yesterday because their Grass-Fed Ground Beef was on sale for $3.99/lb! Um, what?! That's the same price as the ground "pink slime" at Publix when it's on sale! I saw the bacon in the meat case and couldn't resist. Who would have?! 
Bacon: Line a baking sheet/pan with aluminum foil. Lay the bacon flat in a single layer. Bake at 375 for about 20 minutes, or until desired crispiness. Put on layered paper towel and pat to get rid of excess grease.
Pecans: Line a baking sheet/pan with parchment paper. Put coarsely chopped pecans in the pan in a single layer. Drizzle with 1-2 tsp. melted ghee or coconut oil. Bake at 375 for about 12 minutes. Set aside until pancakes are done.
Pancakes, adapted from Jan's Sushi Bar:
Makes 6 small/medium pancakes, about 2 servings
2 eggs
1/2 cup pumpkin (canned or fresh)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tbsp. pumpkin spice
2/3 cup almond flour
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/8 tsp. sea salt

Whisk first 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Mix dry (last 3) ingredients in a separate, smaller bowl. Mix dry ingredients into wet ingredients. 

Heat 1 tbsp. coconut oil in a skillet on medium-low heat, until a drop of water sizzles. Make pancakes using about 1/4 cup of the batter for each one.

Plating: Drizzle 1/2 tsp. honey over each stack of pancakes. Top with pecans. Serve with Grade B Maple Syrup.

1 comment:

  1. Studying for finals was the most depressing time. I ate my weight in ice cream during finals! Good luck on your finals :)

    ReplyDelete