April 5, 2014

Weekend Daze

Law students have this crazy thing where they use weekends for productivity and getting ahead on schoolwork. Today was not one of those days for me, and I doubt tomorrow will be either. But, who ever said weekends are for productivity?!
I mean, technically, I was productive on everything but schoolwork. I got up and ran at one of my favorite running spots before heading to the grocery store. BTW, the fruitbowl is beautiful - can't wait for Friday! Once I got home, I prepped for the week: diced onions, celery, garlic & bell peppers for Sunday night's dinner; chopped celery for chicken salad & into sticks for snacks; chopped cauliflower and broccoli for tonight's dinner; prepped salad for tonight's dinner. Then, I made breakfast for myself and got a little creative with my eggs. (other creative ideas for eggs) Apparently, I really like fried eggs these days.
Two Fried Eggs topped with 1/2 avocado & Roasted Garlic Salsa
I studied a little bit, although my intentions were to study all day. Typical. I made a Spinach Turkey Burger for lunch. I didn't have scallions, so I left those out. I topped it with avocado & Homemade Ketchup (Recipe Book) and made a salad on the side with lettuce, raw broccoli, & Strawberry Balsamic Vinaigrette.

There's no picture of lunch because, to be honest, it was an epic failure. 1) I used regular spinach leaves which I think were too big, so there were pieces and stems of spinach all over the place coming out of this burger. 2) After filling my entire apartment with smoke from the coconut oil being too hot, I sat down with a burger topped with avocado and homemade ketchup. It looked pretty good actually, but the inside was raw. So, I stuck it in the microwave for about two minutes. Then, it was cooked and not too bad (covered in ketchup). But, a picture would just gross you out. For anyone wondering... yes, I screw up too. Actually, a lot. That's how you learn.

For a snack I ate raw broccoli and a few celery sticks with sunflower butter.

Then, I baked Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Icing for a friend's birthday tomorrow. Unfortunately, I had to buy powdered sugar for these, BUT that's so I could use the rest of the stuff in the refrigerator. $0.99 on refined sugar for the past three months... I'll take it!
Lastly, I made dinner with a friend from Alternative Spring Break. He was in charge of the seafood, and I was in charge of the sides, a/k/a the veggies. I made Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower with Lemon and a Salad (spring Mix, cucumbers, grape tomatoes, red peppers) with Strawberry Balsamic Vinaigrette.

He made salmon, scallops, shrimp and mussels with creole seasoning in a white wine-based sauce. It turned out to be an amazing meal! Although, I can't re-create what he did. :( This vegetable recipe is a really simple and out-of-the-ordinary way to make vegetables, and it turns out great!

No comments:

Post a Comment