May 22, 2014

Coffee "Creamer"

My latest project is converting my aunt to paleo. She has colonitis, among several other digestive issues which cause her lots of pain and discomfort. Though, her diet is full of gluten, processed-foods, cheese & chemicals. She's known about paleo through my mom, sister, and me for a while now; but, she's finally getting serious. It's helping that I'm only 1.5 hours away from her and my uncle now, instead of 14.

While I've been staying with them the past few days, I've done what I can to introduce paleo changes to her kitchen and habits. She's okay giving up vegetable and canola oil, as long as she can have olive and avocado oil. Her morning Fiber One bars were an easy switch to LaraBars, of which I bought several flavors for her to determine her favorites. The two major obstacles seem to be beer and sweetening her morning coffee.

Source
The beer thing is a work-in-progress - red wine seems to be the crutch; and, I capitulated that gluten-free should be what she drinks if she absolutely needs to drink a beer. The coffee thing, though... That's an easy fix. Her norm has been Sweet-N-Low & Coffee-Mate French Vanilla. Like I said, a bunch of chemicals. Or, as I told her: chemicals in a plastic cup.

Luckily, I had some Coconut Palm Sugar in my stash of paleo ingredients which were easily accessible in my packed-to-the-brim car and picked up some Unsweetened Vanilla almond milk at the grocery store. After her first sip - as I waited in anticipation of a smile or a gag - she said "I can do this!" Success! Here is a list of paleo options for lightening up a cup of coffee:
  • 100% Maple Syrup
  • Honey
  • Agave
  • Cinnamon
  • Coconut Sugar
  • Turbinado - Although, I try to stay away from this. It seems to be too sugar-like for me.
  • Almond Milk
  • Coconut Milk - Don't be scared of full-fat coconut milk. [Natural] Fats are your friend.
Or, try whipping up a batch of this Paleo Coconut Milk Coffee Creamer - It's awesome!
If you're out for coffee, don't forget the Almond Milk Trick, explained here, for those pesty coffee shops that don't carry almond milk. *cough cough Starbucks*

Don't forget to "Like" Resourceful Paleo on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment