May 13, 2014

Dinner in the Tropics

Tonight's edition of cooking for 6: stretching 3 chicken breasts to feed everyone. The trick? A lot of sides. There were two mangoes in the fruit bowl that were on the verge of spoiling. I knew there had to be something creative to do with them. Obviously, I would not let them go bad and be thrown away.

Coconut Chicken Nuggets with Mango Dipping Sauce, Green Beans, Plantains, Leftover Cauliflower Rice, Leftover Sweet Potato Hash and Pasta for non-paleos

This seems like a ton of food; but, it really made for a taste of a little bit of everything. And, I loved the combination of flavors! 

I made the chicken this way, except cut into nuggets instead of tenderloins. The green beans were simply trimmed, boiled & sprinkled with garlic powder. I sauteed the plantains in olive oil and garlic.

For the leftovers, I heated the cauliflower rice with a little coconut milk to make it creamy. I sauteed the leftover sweet potato hash (Recipe Book) in the oil from the plantains, which I removed to a paper towel when they were done cooking. The added time in the oil over low heat really made the sweet potatoes soft.

 The mango sauce is really what made the difference. I LOVED it with the coconut chicken. 6 full plates from 3 breasts and 2 leftovers... mission accomplished!
Mango Dipping Sauce:
2 mangos, chopped
3 heaping tbs. mayonnaise
2 tbsp. cilantro (fresh or dried)
1-2 tbsp. honey, to taste
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (or less, to taste)

Mix all ingredients using the food processor until smooth. Refrigerate until serving.

For dessert, my sister made Dark Chocolate-Covered Strawberries; and, I made Whipped Coconut Cream (Recipe Book)... I made mine even better and crumbled a Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookie (Recipe Book) over it. Yum!
My sister is a pro at covering strawberries with chocolate. The trick to making the chocolate smooth and hard is coconut oil. Melt dark chocolate chips with about a tablespoon of coconut oil, dip & refrigerate.

No comments:

Post a Comment