June 2, 2014

Summer Grilling, 3

My aunt and uncle were out for the afternoon as I slaved away writing a paper for school yesterday. We had tossed around several ideas for dinner - paleo chicken Tikka Masala, chicken skewers on the grill, spaghetti squash - but ended up not making it to the grocery store... which meant I got to come up with something with what was already in the kitchen: my favorite! I used up a lot of fresh vegetables that were going to go bad because they weren't going to use them in time.

And, we all know I "Don't Throw Anything Away!"

I'm convinced, just like the theory that throwing all fresh ingredients you have in the kitchen into a bowl will be delicious, that anything fresh on the grill is great.

I made a Paleo Cobb Salad with:
  • butter lettuce, chopped
  • romaine lettuce, chopped
  • 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped
  • 2 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
  • 1/2 red onion, chopped
  • 1/2 avocado, chopped
  • 2 slices turkey bacon, crumbled
  • 1/2 cucumber, chopped
  • 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
Part of my reasoning for making such a big salad was for leftovers for my uncle who's been craving a cobb salad. He grilled a few extra chicken breast too which will be AWESOME on top of the salad the next few days.

We thawed chicken breast, so I knew that had to be the main ingredient. As time wore down to dinner-time and I realized we actually didn't have skewers, I decided it would be easiest to grill the breasts whole. So, I made a sauce similar to the Baked Tilapia (Recipe Book) sauce which can basically be used on anything - salad dressing, spaghetti squash, tilapia, salmon, chicken, etc. This sauce was actually perfect for grilling because the honey caramelized onto the chicken. Here's what I whisked together:
  • 2 tbsp. dijon mustard
  • 2 tbsp. honey
  • 1 jumbo clove garlic, pressed (2 small cloves is fine; for some reason, this clove was abnormally large!)
  • 1 tsp. rice vinegar
  • 4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
  • dash cayenne pepper
 Then, I chopped:
  • 1 yellow bell pepper
  • 1 green bell pepper
  • 1 red bell pepper
  • 2 Roma tomatoes
  • 1/2 red onion, sliced
and tossed them with EVOO and the grillmaster (my uncle) grilled them. This is our new favorite thing!

If you have a grill and don't have one of these baskets, you need to get one! I think they mentioned that it was fairly inexpensive, and it has proved to be one of the most useful kitchen items... there are so many possibilities! Saturday night we had a very similar combination of vegetables which we grilled the same way. Except, after they came off of the grill, my aunt tossed them with Balsamic Vinegar. I think this was great, especially with the mushrooms we used.

For updates on Summer Grilling recipes in your Newsfeed, "Like" Resourceful Paleo on Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment