June 12, 2014

Summer Weeknight Baby Backs

There is nothing like baby back ribs and corn-on-the-cob on the back porch on a summer evening. Nothing.

I think today may be the day that "ribs" were revolutionized. Up until today, ribs have been an all-day venture in my family which only happens once in a while for a big event or special occasion. My mom bakes them all day, turning them periodically and then grills them to perfection with BBQ sauce. And these days can only happen when we can be at home all day for her to flip them at just the right times. I was lucky enough to have my mom's and my aunt's ribs (who takes almost the same approach and started baking them at 4:30am) within a two-week period this summer. This is not something I've attempted to do on my own and have rendered Baby Back Ribs as something I leave to Mom.

So as I was still in the ribs craze and just moving into my summer town, I noticed that baby back ribs were on sale at the local grocery store. I thought this would be great. I'll just buy enough for one night's dinner and will totally love having that after work one night. Well, that was a great idea until I realized - as I was planning this week's meals and cooking the ribs became reality - that I work all day. I don't have the time to execute what needs to be done to make them even edible compared to my mom's, or aunt's. Then it hit me.

The key is moisture and time... ding, ding ding! Crock pot! I have to say... these Summer Weeknight Baby Backs come darn close to meeting the standard.

Summer Weeknight Baby Backs
Baby Back Pork Ribs
garlic powder
onion powder
bay leaf
water
Gluten-Free BBQ sauce

Rub the ribs with garlic powder and onion powder - or any of your favorite spices. Place in the bottom of the crock pot. Fill the crock pot with water until the ribs are completely covered by the water, with at least an inch to spare. Throw in a bay leaf - or two, if you're making a decent amount of ribs. I only made 1 serving. Put the crock pot on low for about 8 hours (or your day at work).

When you get home, heat up the grill. Carefully (they're going to be falling off!) take the ribs out of the crock pot and put them on the grill. Slather with BBQ sauce and heat just enough so the BBQ sauce and ribs become one. DONE! 

Seriously, I had to eat mine with a fork because they fell off the bone. I made mine with Roasted Sweet Potatoes (Recipe Book) and Sauteed Kale which is just sauteed with coconut oil and drizzled with red wine vinegar.

No comments:

Post a Comment