July 8, 2014

Lemon Poppyseed Muffins & Blueberry Jelly

One of my favorite things about getting more familiar with cooking and baking and growing in the kitchen has been trying new flavor combinations and developing a sense for what flavors pair nicely with each other. This lemon and blueberry combination is far from original. But, I took two separate recipes that I found on two different sources and created a wonderful combination.
I seriously bought poppyseeds over 3 months ago because I wanted to make this recipe. I finally got around to making them this weekend; and, my motivation was the blueberries which I used to make Against All Grain's Homemade Blueberry Preserves without Pectin to go on the muffins! I actually mashed the blueberries with my hands which proved to be way more efficient than fighting each berry with the back of a fork. Once I had most of them mashed, I started heating everything and mashed the big ones with the back of a spoon as they softened with the heat. I used 1/2 cup honey, max; and it's definitely sweet enough.
Lemon Poppyseed Muffins
This combination is even better than it sounds! I was a little nervous about the muffin recipe because recipes that only use coconut flour tend to be dry; but, they have so much moisture and the perfect lemon flavor! I was SO HAPPY about the texture of the jelly which is perfect. It's so smooth and spreadable. These are definitely two recipes that I would recommend separately. But, together, they make one of my favorite paleo weekday breakfasts thus far!

No comments:

Post a Comment