July 5, 2014

Tropical Chicken Salad

Besides blueberries, I am lately loving mangoes. My step-grandmother showed me the right kind of mangoes to buy... the yellow ones from Mexico and how to cut them. I'm embarrassed to say I had given up on mangoes after fighting too many not-so-ripe mangoes. I decided to add a different spin on my beloved chicken salad. I packed this for lunch with chopped Romaine... It was like bringing the islands to my office! I really liked the way the mango was balanced by the red onion; and, the chicken is the perfect base for so many flavors.


Tropical Chicken Salad
1 can chicken breast
1/2 avocado, cubed
1/4 red onion, diced
1 tsp. fresh cilantro
1/2 mango, diced
1 tbsp. toasted coconut (optional)
sea salt
pepper

Shred the chunks of chicken breast with a fork so it is not as chunky. Mash the avocado into the shredded chicken so it mixes together. Fold in the red onion, cilantro and mango. Sprinkle with toasted coconut, if desired. Season with sea salt & pepper, to taste.

Serve over lettuce/greens for salad or in Romaine leaves for lettuce wraps. It's also great on it's own! 

No comments:

Post a Comment