August 19, 2014

Chardonnay Scallops

I would apologize for two scallop recipes in a row, but I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing. This summer was great for so many different reasons. I had an amazing internship which tremendously helped me professionally. But, also - and, arguably, more importantly - I learned so much about cooking and being in the kitchen. Last year - especially since starting paleo - I had begun to wean myself off of recipes but felt so lost staring at the seasoning shelves in the pantry. Now it's like a fun game of deciding what flavors will combine will together and what character I want the dish to have.

So I had one more serving of scallops left. Don't worry, there are more in the freezer for later. I went grocery shopping today, so it was a toss up between zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower and kale. I know I had scallops and kale last night but it just sounded so good. Plus, they're ingredients that can be completely transformed into something so different which is exactly what I did. I had more time tonight so I put a little more thought into what I was doing. Ends up... I do know a thing or two and created an AWESOME dish. It even warranted pulling out one of the nice dishes to plate all prettily. Enjoy!

Chardonnay Scallops over Kale
Servings: 2

4 cups kale, coarsely chopped
4 tbsp. coconut oil
1/2 lb. Bay scallops
3 cloves garlic, pressed
4 tbsp. olive oil
sage
parsley
onion powder
1/3 cup Chardonnay (or other dry white wine)
1 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. fresh lemon zest, divided

Pan #1: Heat olive oil on medium-low heat. Add garlic cloves and sautee for about 1 minute. It should be soft but not brown. Add scallops. Sautee for about a minute, until they have at least been heated and stirred a few times. Sprinkle lightly with sage and onion powder. I would not use more than 1/4 teaspoon of each. Continue sauteeing for another 2 minutes. Add Chardonnay and lemon juice. Slightly increase heat. Sprinkle with parsley - again, no more than 1/4 tsp. Continue stirring occasionally. After another 2 minutes, lower heat and place lid over pan. Stir occasionally and continue to simmer until sauce has reduced and the kale in Pan #2 has softened.



Pan #2 (start after wine has been added to Pan #1): Heat coconut oil over medium heat. Add kale. Sautee for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Place a lid over the kale for about 3 minutes, until leaves have wilted. Remove lid and continue to stir/sautee for another minute or so, until the leaves are softened completely. The key here is to not have the leaves become too soft so they don't soak up the sauce in the plate. Sprinkle with sea salt, pepper and 1/2 of the lemon zest. Mix together.

Plating: Fill the plate/bowl with kale. Top with scallops and about 1/4 cup of sauce. Garnish with remaining lemon zest.

No comments:

Post a Comment